Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:30 am

Post subject: Divorce
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

It may surprise you, it may shock you, it might even anger you, but yes, freedom is granted in the New Testament to DIVORCE your mate! divorced Freedom is Granted Bible Divorce

Where do we start? First, forget everything you think you know. Second, go ahead and get mad, not at me, but at false teachers who have kept male and female alike enslaved in sexless, loveless, and abusive marriages.

So let’s start at what Jesus said, and why he said it, but let’s not forget who His audience is and what their backgrounds are. In (Matt 5:32 ), (Matt 19:9 ), (Mark 10:12 ), (Luke 16:18 ) Jesus discusses the subject of divorce. Two things are of the upmost importance to be considered. First, who is He talking to, and second, why He is talking to them.

Who:

1- Jews living in Israel under the Law of Moses.

Why:

2- Pharisees are trying to trap him in His words.

Now, if I ask you a question, and you know that I am trying to trap you in your own words are you not going to be careful about how you answer the question? Maybe, not let me in on all of what you know or feel? Certainly, we call it “playing our cards close to our chest”. This is certainly what he was doing and it is seen in:

Matt. 19:3 Some Pharisees came to him and tried to trap him by asking, “Does our Law allow a man to divorce his wife for whatever reason he wishes?”

His answer must be understood in the context of an audience of Jews, living under the Teachings of Moses, before the New Covenant. His answer cannot be understood outside of this context. To try and apply this to the New Testament Believer or to a Gentile is out of context.

Why is it someone, who hardly has any knowledge of Jesus, or of the Bible whatsoever, can quote these verses? But what really appalls me is that they think they understand them! Most sincere Christians think that they understand these verses, but they do not.

I will have to ask you to read a good bit:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ But now I tell you: anyone who looks at a woman and wants to possess her is guilty of committing adultery with her in his heart. So if your right eye causes you to sin, take it out and throw it away! It is much better for you to lose a part of your body than to have your whole body thrown into hell. If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away! It is much better for you to lose one of your limbs than to have your whole body go off to hell. “It was also said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a written notice of divorce.’ But now I tell you: if a man divorces his wife for any cause other than her unfaithfulness, then he is guilty of making her commit adultery if she marries again; and the man who marries her commits adultery also. “You have also heard that people were told in the past, ‘Do not break your promise, but do what you have vowed to the Lord to do.’ But now I tell you: do not use any vow when you make a promise. Do not swear by heaven, for it is God’s throne; nor by earth, for it is the resting place for his feet; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Do not even swear by your head, because you cannot make a single hair white or black. Just say ‘Yes’ or ‘No’—anything else you say comes from the Evil One. “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.‘ But now I tell you: do not take revenge on someone who wrongs you. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, let him slap your left cheek too. And if someone takes you to court to sue you for your shirt, let him have your coat as well. And if one of the occupation troops forces you to carry his pack one mile, carry it two miles. When someone asks you for something, give it to him; when someone wants to borrow something, lend it to him. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your friends, hate your enemies.’
(Mat 5:27-43 )

I have not seen Christians walking around with no hands, and no eyes because they took Jesus’ statement at face value, but I do see a lot of marriages of the walking dead! How long are we as Christians going to keep picking and choosing what we want to believe instead of examining the entire counsel of God?

Jesus was speaking to Jews under the Law.

Paul speaks to Christians under the New Testament.

The New Testament fulfills the Old – Except where divorce and tithing are concerned, right? (a “tongue in cheek” statement of course!)

Paul’s Epistle to the Romans clarifies God’s thoughts about divorce. He teaches in Romans 7:4 that we have died to Moses’ Teachings. Oh, yea, right, that is unless we include Christ’s teachings about divorce, that is.

Sure we don’t have to go to a Temple, pay our tithes, and sacrifice an offering, but we do have to live with angry abusive spouses, and live in loveless marriages because after all, he said, “Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery, right?

Please, this was said to Jews living under the Law!

Let’s let God’s feelings be seen:

Rom 7:1-4
(1) Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

(2) For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

(3) So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

(4) Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

DEAD to the Law!

We are not bound by (Matt 5:32 ), (Matt 19:9 ), (Mark 10:12 ), (Luke 16:18 )……….the, “Divorce Scriptures”

FREEDOM

So, if the Law doesn’t apply, what does?

Oh, before going there, let’s look for a moment at Peter and Paul’s disagreement, and what was decided in Jerusalem.

Paul goes to meet those who are Apostles before him. (Act 21:21) And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.

Yes, Paul’s teachings were to forsake the Law. Having resigned themselves to this the Apostles in Jerusalem issued only this in regards to those not under the LAW.

“As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.” (Act 21:25)

Interesting that they did not say, to us Gentiles (not under the law) all except be bound by (Matt 5:32), (Matt 19:9), (Mark 10:12), (Luke 16:18)……….the, “Divorce Scriptures”

FREEDOM

So having ended this wondering why it never felt right! Let’s look further at Paul’s teachings.

1Co 7:6-15

(6) But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. (7) For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. (8) I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. (9) But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn. (10) And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: (11) But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife. (12) But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. (13) And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. (14) For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. (15) But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

PEACE-PEACE

Now don’t be stupid and tell me that a spouse is only free if the “unbeliever” walks out. What if as happens many times the “unbeliever” stays in his or her easy chair and says he is going nowhere! I guess you’re stuck! Now don’t be stupid! God calls you to peace, don’t get stuck on who has to physically walk out the door. To stay with someone who really doesn’t want to be peaceable just because you think they have to walk…..out the door, this is stupid. God isn’t stupid! But some people are going to want to stay put, just to keep the “things” and to continue to abuse the spouse. I mean that works both ways, some abuse by not loving, some abuse by crossing their legs, some abuse by hitting, it is all abuse. That spouse has left the marriage even if they have not physically walked out the door.

Well what’s an “unbeliever”? An “unbeliever” is one who, in this case, doesn’t adhere to the teachings of Christ. Don’t try to define, if they are “Born Again”. If they don’t show it by their works, then assume they fit the description of an “unbeliever”. Leave them and start your life over again!

I have said all of this to say, you are free in Christ. Don’t; don’t use your freedom to leave a marriage that has hope and a future, but if it is broken beyond repair, leave and start a new life! There is no condemnation; you are free from the law…….

Please, if you are considering leaving a marriage, be cautious to give your marriage TIME for healing before leaving the marriage!

Along the same thought process, marriage counseling by a trained, Christian counselor is also crucial, for couples who are married, many times true healing comes during these counseling sessions.

Words of Wisdom:

By all means necessary, if you are in a physically abusive marriage, get out to safety immediately! If anyone, you or if you have children, the children, are in possible or imminent danger, escape the situation immediately! Also, for the good of all involved, do not hesitate to call the police and get them involved!

Does God Hate Divorce?

God is speaking to the priests, not New Testament Christians when in Malachi we find, “And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you….For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away” He says, (Jer 3:1-14 ) “I am married unto you: Israel”. He compares Israel’s playing the harlot, and Him having to put her away when he says. He “hateth putting away” (Mal 2)

Wikipedia -It is estimated that 40% of all marriages have ended in divorce as of 2008. As we all know the church is not immune from the divorce epidemic. Many have been taught, “What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate” but God has provided a solution to those marriages that are seriously and irreparably damaged.

(Matt 5:32 ) But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

(Matt 19:9) And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

(Mark 10:12 ) And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

(Luke 16:18 ) Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

Matt 19:3 GNB
(3) Some Pharisees came to him and tried to trap him by asking, “Does our Law allow a man to divorce his wife for whatever reason he wishes?”

In Jewish law, marriage consists of two separate acts, called kiddushin (or erusin, the engagement ceremony) and nissu’in, the actual wedding. Kiddushin changes the couple’s personal status, while nissu’in brings about the legal consequences of the change of status. In Talmudic times, these two ceremonies usually took place about a year apart. The bride lived with her parents until the actual marriage ceremony, which would take place in a room or tent that the groom had set up for her. Later in history, the two ceremonies took place as a combined ceremony, and the marriage ceremony started to be performed publicly.

Offline Profile